RE: Europa-List: avionics cut outs

Subject: RE: Europa-List: avionics cut outs
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:16:42
Hello Ian

I agree that traditional machining of panel is a viable means of
accomplishment. Once laid out, a flycutter works great. I takes just a bit
of diddling to get size correct, but once it is, do all those hole sizes.
If you are not doing all at once, flycutters are fair cheap, just buy 1
for each size and don't bother adjusting.

We got our panel cut first try on both, I tried to attach a pic.

We laid out entire panel with full sized copies of instruments to make
sure all fits as a first pass, then machined the trouble spots first which
dictated where the remainder will be placed.

"anyone have a use for a number of (just under) instrument size aluminium
disks?"

Yes a toy for kids of all ages, for younger kids blunt sharp edges and
glue string in center of hole, a good alternative for button / accordion
/spinner. You can polish to a high luster if you wish, or chuck up a #2
pencil and make some Spirit of Saint Lewis swirls with the eraser.

Good test pieces for a try at 3 BID Epoxy layup compared to a 1 BID Redux
with peel ply and 2 subsequent BID Epoxy

If you make a pyramid out of them all progressively smaller, you could
make the 3 pin game where you need to move entire stack to another pin
without ever putting a larger on a smaller. Secret is keep the smallest
always going either clockwise or counter clockwise, start with 3, then 4,
it begins to require a lot of moves.

Good test for bonding ability of Rapid epoxy compared to JB Weld long
Cure, and JB Kwik for those who can get it.

Vise protectors for small parts.

Shims for leveling when machining stuff.

Ron Parigoris