Re: Europa-List: coolant issues?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: coolant issues?
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:24:40

Ralph,

> "...I just heard today that the new waterless fluid is flammable. I
> saw it burn today/ Stemme has issued an urgent SB to remove the stuff
> - I heard 2 fatalities of coolant leak catching fire. The 50 - 50
> solution will not burn. Oh well! Have you heard anything about this? I
> also discovered that the 100% solution of antifreeze burns too..."

Yes glycols are flammable. Remember those WWII air combat stories ?

The NPG+ consists of a blend of different glycols (propylene glycol
seems to be the main component, as in the regular NPG coolant).
Propylene glycol (1,2 propanediol) has a 107C flash point.
Please see SDS here http://www.sargentwelch.com/pdf/msds/sch94661.pdf

In my opinion, the main hazard is with mists and fumes. A pinpoint leak
may well produce some  heavier-than-air flammable mist under the cowling.
Do you have additional info on this Stemme SB ?

Nowadays, very few people in Civil Aviation Authorities, if any, have a
clear understanding of what is involved in internal combustion engine
cooling...
 From a pure technical point of view, there is little to be gained by
using those water-free coolants.

Regards,