Re: Europa-List: Trailering

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trailering
From: Steven Pitt <steven.pitt2@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 07:52:36
Jerry
I have only just completed my aircraft and newly flown it so I can only
report on the short experience I have of trailering and putting
together. I have a closed trailer for my XS Trigear.
Firstly, two is better than one IMHO - it is more fun but you need to be
relaxed about getting the aircraft in and out of the trailer. Never rush
as that is when you make mistakes and create the hanger rash that you
don't want.
Putting the aircraft together does get easier and I now find my wings
slot in and the pins engage with a little bit of jiggling. Certainly it
can be done within about 15 minutes without breaking out into too much
sweat.
For wing rigging I made a 3 wheeled dolly, which does work, just in case
I get stuck without the second pair of hands. It is not as big and
elegant as some I have seen but I have tested it on rough ground and
with a wind blowing and it was stable enough to cope. Trestles were used
for turning and positioning. The flap engagement was the worst bit as I
have not yet fitted self aligning funnels to make the job easier.
Taking the aircraft apart should definitely not be done in a rush but
savoured after a good days flying. You are probably tired and thoughful
of what has gone before so take your time. This stage takes me 1/2 hour
plus if I am truthful.
I must admit there have been times when I have cursed the design which
allows it to be trailered but then I think of the costs and the ability
to work at home. With a winch fitted I can now get the fuselage out on
my own and back and work when the weather and time suits.
I appreciate this is very general and I will photograph the dolly
eventually. If you want any more info contact me off list.
Regards
Steve Pitt G-SMDH