Europa-List: Cabin Heat

Subject: Europa-List: Cabin Heat
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:35:47
Hi Guys,

I installed cabin heat in N245E, adapting the Jabiru cabin heat kit, plus
some modifications of my own. It uses a heat muff  to take heat off of the
exhaust expansion chamber. The muff is manufactured by Jabiru, but could
probably

be adapted to a Rotax exhaust. The recent cooler temps here in SE  Tennessee
shows that it works quite well.

I fabricated a trapazoid shaped stainless panel from the same material  as
the stainless firewall. This panel fits inbetween the frame members  of the
lower forward portion of the engine mount. The panel is secured  using four adel

clamps around the engine mount frame, providing cushioning from  vibration. The

panel itself is attached to the adel clamps using 1/2" x 8-32 SS  pan head
screws, mating to blind nuts rivited to the adel clamps. The fresh air  feed
comes from a NACA vent on the right side of the lower cowl and is ducted  via 2"

SCAT tube.

Using a "homebuilders cabin heat box", available from ACS or Suncoast
Sportplanes, I rivited the heat box to the stainless panel, allowing the hot air

exit flange to pass rearward through the stainless panel though a 2"  hole cut

in the panel. The hot air then passes into a "T" I made from 52mm (2")  thin
walled (.049") aluminum tubing. The "T" then directs the hot air left and  right

through the inside side wall of each footwell, about 4" above the rudder
pedal tubes, using a 2" aluminum flange (ACS # 08-04135). 2" SCAT connects  it

all together. This puts the hot air right onto your toes.   ~TOASTY~

Control of the cabin heat box is by a knob and cable arrangement located on
the center console.

If anybody is worried about CO, check out the electronic CO monitors
available from www.aeromedix.com . I have one mounted in N245E and other than a

brief alarm on the first flight, it hasn't chirped once in 30+ hours of  flight

time. These electronic CO monitors are VASTLY superior to the old "black  spot"

card type CO detectors.

I can provide pictures and additional details if anybody is  interested.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
N245E - Flying - 30.5 hours and adding a few more  today......