Re: Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator - Update

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Dodgy Regulator - Update
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:20:57

Hi all,

Some years ago I performed some bench tests regarding Rotax regulators,
the regular Ducati one, and the Schicke GR4.
http://contrails.free.fr/elec_ducati_en.php
The GR4 proved superior in many respects, so I installed it in our Rotax
914four-seater.
It has performed flawlessly for nearly two years.

> Look on the web site; the specs are the same as the Ducati
> one,

According to Herr Schicke, the GR6 has the same specs as the GR4n but
thermal characteristics are better. Please note that the rated output is
about 16 amps, quite the same as the ACTUAL safe output of the Ducati.
> but some creativity will be needed to connect up the
> wiring as there is no connector.!

No big deal with fastons on the wires. You just insert each faston in
the correspondig aperture on the wiring connector. Thus reverting to the
Ducati is a straight swap.
For those with an OV protection, be aware that the Schicke won't shut
down when the sense wire ('C' or 'skinny red') is disconnected or put to
ground. The setup is better as in the last Z16 update on the Aeroelctric
connection.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France