Europa-List: First flight LN-SKJ

Subject: Europa-List: First flight LN-SKJ
From: Justin Kennedy <Justin@systemwise.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:14:39
Well done Svein. Nothing quite like that feeling?

I have been flying mine for a year and I still have the grin. It may
need to be surgically removed.

On the subject of the "heavy" left wing.

My monowheel G-ZTED had a heavy right wing and I went through all the
aileron trim device ideas.

Simon Smith was doing his test flying in his new Trigear at our airfield
at Perth (Scotland not Australia) and he had the same.

He told me that he had just put a few mixing sticks behind the flap on
the heavy side so that it did not retract the last wee bit and that
solved it. He will no doubt fit a more permanent arrangement.

As a result of this Pearl of Wisdom (thanks Simon) I then spent an
afternoon making my left wing flap retract forwards a further 3mm by
taking off a few high spots on the top of the flap close out and sanding
down the stops I had put in. I found the high spots by sliding old
fashioned typists carbon paper behind the closed flap. I am told if the
flaps are retracted slightly more than the design position you get more
speed. Well, I don't know about that but I have completely solved the
heavy wing problem. No need for aileron trim and the associated
weight/complication/mod permission that goes with it.

I am no expert but this did seem like a neat solution. I think I am
right in saying that the build the accuracy of the closed flap is what
determines the setting of the fully retracted position. The 3mm for and
aft translates to slightly less than 2mm up and down at the trailing
edge. This built in inaccuracy made for a heavy enough wing to spoil the
fun. All better now.

I still can't believe how much fun this aeroplane is to fly.

Justin Kennedy

G-ZTED Europa Classic Monowheel 912S Airmaster

Edinburgh

Scotland