Europa-List: Europa front wing pins

Subject: Europa-List: Europa front wing pins
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:08:41
Hi everyone,

I bonded the wing and flap pins in yesterday, and today did a trial fit
of the wings as described in the manual. After setting the wing
incidence to 2.5 deg, I marked the wing root profile on the fuselage.
The manual then says to mark where the front wing pins touch the
fuselage, remove the wings, and drill a 13 mm hole in the fuselage
(through the hardpoint) for the pins. My pins do not touch the fuselage
- even with the wings pushed right into the spar caps and the spar
bushes aligned with the seatback alignment bushes, there is about 3 mm
clearance between the fuse and the tip of the pins. And I am a little
confused, because the manual then goes on to describe possibly having to
make shims to fill the gap between the socket and the fuselage. If that
is necessary, I can't see that the pins would be going to pass through
the shims and the fuselage (unless perhaps longer pins were used
previously). And the figures in the manual do not show a hole through
the shims as would be needed if the pins go through the fuselage.

Can you help my confusion here? Do other's front wing pins go through
the fuselage?

Keith Hickling,
New Zealand.
Kit 613..