Europa-List: Re: heavy wing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: heavy wing
From: Rémi Guerner <air.guerner@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:52:18
William,

I confirm there were nothing like an aileron up and the other one down. The
ailerons
are very effective in the Europa, so a few millimeter deflection was probably
enough to keep the wing level. A few milimeter cannot be detected visually
in flight.
 I cannot be sure the roll tendency was present with the flaps down, as my
judgment
was disturbed by the stress. I believe now it was not. I do not have the
speed kit fairing and I agree this would prevent foreign objects to jam the
outrigger
mechanism. I am planning to fit them one day.

Regards
Remi

Remi,
I am not offering any suggestions, but I am intrigued as to your
description of the control surfaces looking normal.  When you looked at
the control surfaces with the flaps up and with the heavy right wing,
were the ailerons in line with the flaps and the wing tips on both
wings, or was the right aileron slightly down and the left one up to
counteract the tendency to roll right?
With the flaps / wheel down for landing was the aircraft back in
balance?
If the left flap had not fully retracted, I would have thought the
aileron and flap would not have lined up, particularly on the left wing.
If it were a stone that had caused the problem, perhaps speed kit
fairings would have guarded the hinges and outrigger mechanisms against
that.  I presume you have not fitted them?
Best wishes,
William