RE: Europa-List: PFA mods

Subject: RE: Europa-List: PFA mods
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:24:28
I am not familiar with the Floscan 231 but the 201 version works well
with the Rotax 912S. When you talk about pressure drop the maximum
stated pressure drop across the sensor for the 201 was given as 0.15psi
(and to achieve that I believe the flow rate had to be about 30galls/hr)
which is not a lot  when the system is generally working between 3 and
5psi. The important thing with flow sensors is that they should not
block easily. The Floscan is good in this respect unlike the Elba unit.
The Elba unit can restrict fuel flow enough such that the engine cannot
pass the fuel flow test. A sensor with a good capacity minimises risk of
blockage or flow/pressure restriction but it also needs to be accurate.
In tests with the 201 unit we are finding the quoted accuracy of within
2-3% is very conservative. Typically we are getting accuracies of within
0.25% which is very reassuring when it is used to give a calculated fuel
contents. The repeatable accuracy I am getting means I know my fuel
contents to within 0.25 litres at any stage.

Nigel Charles