Europa-List: Bungee or springs?

Subject: Europa-List: Bungee or springs?
From: Michael Grass <M.Grass@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:29:35
All Mono driver can relax now.

I have a question to all Tri Gear Europa pilots. I opted first not to go
the spring route for the reason of lighter weight and a more distributed
load around the load caring tubes versus a centralized stress point
caused by the small diameter of the spring wire where it touches the
load caring tubes

Now I am not so sure anymore. The manual for the Bungee installation
states to stretch the Bungee to about 175% of its original length or
about 1 inch between the marks. My bungee has the marks exactly a 1/2
inch apart. I stretched all Bungee runs to exactly 1 inch or with other
words to 200% of its original length. Then I did my load test. The
manual states that about 150kg is needed to get the leg of its bump
stop. My installation will give away at about 170kg load sitting on the
shelves (1 human and 1 builder) but no engine or instrument module and
glass installed. No I start to have doubts if that is even enough.
Thinking that I will install a 914 with a CS prop I wonder if this is
enough pretension or should I upgrade to the springs.

I seek now the advise from bungee flyers and the experienced bungee
converted to spring flyer.

Thanks

Michael Grass
A266 TriGear Detroit Michigan