Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 22 Msgs - 08/07/06

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 22 Msgs - 08/07/06
From: EMAproducts@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:17:08

In a message dated 8/8/2006 12:00:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

From: "nigel charles"  <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Europa-List: Stalls and  spins

It is important to realise with all stall  warning systems whether they
are giving you warnings above a nominated  speed or whether they are
giving you a warning that you are approaching a  critical AOA.

For example 5kts warning above a critical AOA is better  than 15kts
warning above a speed which is the wings level one 'g' stall  speed. If
you bank 45deg in level flight the stall speed increases by about  40 per
cent so if your wings level stall speed was 40kts at 45deg bank  it
becomes about 56kts. Thus in this case a speed warning of 15kts  before
the stall becomes no warning at all whereas a conventional stall  warner
or AOA system will still provide the 5kt warning

Nigel  Charles

Nigel,
Excellent comments, This is exactly why I produce an AOA  system, an AOA is
correct under ALL conditions, it will warn you of the AOA, in  our instrument
an audio announcement will advise when about 5% under the minimum  approach
speed.  Stall warning devices are like closing the door after the  cows are out.

To late with to little.  An AOA will give proper  warning when a trend is
apparent, warning 5 or so below the min approach speed,  then the stall warning
5
above the stall.  In the US the stall  warning certification has one
stipulation ~~ be at least 5 Kts above  stall.  I've flown some aircraft where
the
stall warning is coming on at 20  above the stall, the owners totally ignore it,

then get into another aircraft  and wham~~ enough said.
Elbie
EM Aviation
_www.riteangle.com_ (http://www.riteangle.com)