Re: Europa-List: Re: stalls and spins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: stalls and spins
From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:52:56
I really like the idea of the 'Smartass' and agree with the concept of AOA
being a better indication than IAS.  The actual stall speed is easily
calculated by a simple triangle of forces i.e. the amount of 'lift' which is
keeping

the aircraft in the air as opposed to that which is inducing a  turn.

Incidentally 'when I were a lad!', being rash enough to fly in Sea Vixens,
we commonly practised spoken IAS by the observer on the approach, which was
also transmitted to Flyco at the same time.  The approach speed was 128  knots

with normal landing all up weight .  Being within 1 knot of that  speed was
essential.  2 knots too slow and you likely hit the stern of the  carrier and
you

were dead.  2 knots too fast and you would 'float ' over  the wires and have
to get power on quickly to go around again.

Not amusing at night on a pitching deck!

Patrick