Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Filters

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Fuel Filters
From: karelvranken <karelvranken@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:09:32
Hello Ferg and all,
Here comes the thru story of the second filter. Mark Waite went with the
Europa demonstrator to Friedrichshafen for the Messe Aero 2003. There he
refulled often from a tank on wheels that was placed near the grass
runway where the demonstration flights toke place. This tank was an old
military object that certainly for years wasn't used before it served at
the Aero. So when I asked Mark to make a night stop at my home field
EBLE in Belgium when returning to England, he was pleased and we spend a
good moment togheter. He refulled and started in not very good wheather
so that he had to fly at 1000 feet agl or even lower. Then his filter
became clogged and he had to make an emergency landing in Ostend where
the filter was found full of brown debris. Mark told me that the last
refuelling at my place procured him a lot of fear.
Now, I knew better because we never had fuel or filter problems in our
club. If the tank in Friedrichshafen was as rusty inside as outside then
the reason for dark brown debris in the filter was easy to explain. Next
to this came the bulletin for a second filter and a lot of possible
arrangements. For me it is clear. You may add filters and bypasses as
much as you like, if you don't control what is poured in the funnel than
you never can be sure. The mini gascolator from Andair is aircraft
material and good for engines up to 150 hp. When using additionally the
fuel filter funnel from Smart Tech you may sleep on both ears like they
say in flemisch....until you tell me another story.
Karel Vranken, # 447 F-PKRL, final control before first flight on
september 7th.