RE: Europa-List: NSI Subaru owners please read.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: NSI Subaru owners please read.
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 07:13:07

  Hello Belinda!
  I am really sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident but am happy to
hear of your
successful (mostly) off field landing.
  I run the Subaru engine as well and have been extremely happy with it
although mine
has been highly modified for more power.   I no longer use the NSI redrive
but still have
their dual belt alternator pulley setup.  I don't know if this applies to
your situation, but
I have been warned not to get the alternator belt too tight as there are two
of them
in parallel where the engine in the car only has one, putting twice as much
strain on the
alternator bearing.  I have noticed that it is actually necessary to set
them fairly loose as
when the engine is hot, all the aluminum in the engine expands a
considerable amount,
tightening the belts significantly.  I couldn't believe how much until I
checked the belt
tension right after a flight and they were incredibly tight.  I have been
mostly concerned
with cracking the NSI alternator bracket which I have read some reports on,
probably
due to the same overtightened belts.
  I had also heard of some seized alternators on NSI Kitfox installations
some years ago
and had been warned to provide good cooling around the alternator.  I added
a fairly
large reverse vent right behind the alternator to provide a good flow.  My
alternator
does have its own internal cooling fan as well.
  I never considered that a seized alternator could stop the engine though.
Thats
a tough one.  I'm thinking loosen the belts even more or just use one belt.
That way
at least the engine could still turn.
  Sure hate to hear of your loss.   I really appreciate the incident report.
  I sincerely
hope G-BWCV is repairable!

                                                Glenn
                                                Golden, Colo USA