Re: Europa-List: Re: stalls & spins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: stalls & spins
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:07:20

I would suggest that the ASI should only be part of the equation. You need
to know the correct attitude (with reference to the horizon) that gives a
safe approach speed. If you fly with reference to the ASI alone you end up
chasing the airspeed and worse still have your eyeball inside the cockpit
instead of keeping an eye on the attitude and where you are heading.

On my first ever solo (in a glider) the ASI failed completely and I had to
fly the circuit and land without any speed reference whatsoever. Fortunately
I was taught to fly by attitude and coped with what would have otherwise
been a nasty situation.

If your airspeed indicator were to fail would you know what attitude to fly
to land safely. If you dont recognise what attitude gives a safe flying
speed (flaps up and flaps down) would you be able to cope with such an
emergency.