Europa-List: Stall Spin

Subject: Europa-List: Stall Spin
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:48:03
 Chris Beck writes:

>>All the recent correspondence following the tragedy at Oshkosh seems to
point to
>>a basic instability with the Europa. Is this inherent in the design or
due to
>>building errors?Trimming ailerons to achieve smooth integration with the
wing

Sorry Chris,

Your comments are unfortunately uninformed.

Keeping aside our personal feelings of loss for an active member of this
online community, the subject
aircraft was observed by many to be slow in the pattern and to have
overshot the base to final turn.
This is a classic scenario for a cross controlled spin entry, which is
exactly what happened, according
to multiple pilot witnesses.  I can not say I saw it happen at the
approach end of 27, since I was
having breakfast midfield along 36 when it happened, but word travels
fast.

By no means is this phenomena exclusive to Europas as you imply.  I
guarantee you that a quick scan
of the NTSB database will reveal dozens of C140/150/152 accidents of
identical origin.  If Europas were
the only a/c to drop a wing in a cross controlled stall, why then does
every text on flying devote
considerable space to this scenario?

---------

Ron,
why redesign the wing, adding a cuff when the factory makes a clear simple
solution in adding a stall strip?

Ivan was not at Osh this year, but was according to the Liberty guys, in
Africa ferry an a/c.

Other Osh tidbit:  John Hurst is now working for Phil Lockwood in Sebring

Ira  N224XS