Europa-List: 914 Fuel Flows

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Fuel Flows
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:52:28
Simon,
Can't say I agree with your assessment.  The MP gage in the panel is ind
ependent of the airbox pressure/TCU.  As part of the installation of a M
P (electronic not analog) you are required to calibrate the sensor.  If
the sensor is off by any amount from the true MP that the engine is real
ly producing then you will be incorrect in you assumption of H.P.  For e
xample if the pilot has not correctly calibrated the MP gage and it is r
eading 31" of MP, however, in reality the engine is producing 34" then t
hat would explain the excessive fuel flow for a given MP reading.  Make
sense.  Off course too rich of a mixture could also be the cause, howeve
r, with the Bing carbs this is unlikely.  My fuel flows per indicated MP
 are very close to the published figures in the Rotax manual.  Just my t
wo cents.
Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914
From: "Simon Smith" <jodel@nildram.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Europa-List: 914 fuel flows

Surely, if the MP gauge is suspect the Airbox sensor/TCU would also have

be in error by the same amount?  I initially queried the figures because

assumed (and we all know how dangerous that can be!) that the Rotax book

fuel flows ought to be accurate.

Simon