Re: Europa-List: ...and another thing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ...and another thing
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 14:38:23

Not quite correct Nigel.
I've done two conventional gear conversions and they took 100 hours each;
these did not include the shortcuts that were incorporated in the '6 or so'
others.

The 'inventive engineering' is already included in the design of the
conversion and, whilst probably being over-engineered, provides a lighter
undercarriage than the mono. The handling is, according to one Europa test
pilot (who has his own mono), vastly improved.

The gear leg that sheared was groundlooped in to long hummocky grass,
resulting in the wheel digging-in laterally and side-loading the leg well
beyond its FAR23-compliant design. At which point the handling would, as you
say, become less easy! But try that with a mono and the outriggers may get
damaged and/or  the LG01 distorted.

I do agree that the mono looks better in the air (with the wheel retracted),
but there is no drag advantage (except in the landing configuration when the
extended wheel provides a useful airbrake, reducing float).

Duncan McF.