Europa-List: Re: VOR Aerial / Antenna

Subject: Europa-List: Re: VOR Aerial / Antenna
From: europa flugzeug fabrik <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:38:53

peter.rees01@tiscali.c wrote:
> Spruce have some which look like long thin strips with a BNC in the centre...

That is a plain dipole, but compromised in providing one length for COM and NAV.
Straight legs are not ideal either.  However, the negative effect probably
isn't much, and copper tape may not be much different, unless each cut and tuned
to mid-band with a VSWR meter.

> I believe that the instrument I'm going to fit (Narco 122) has a marker beacon
receiver built in - any ideas as to a suitable aerial for this would also be
appreciated.

A "boat" type marker antenna would be the easiest route.  The NAV-122 has more
than enough sensitivity for this compromised device.

For GS antenna, I would make a dipole by splitting the end of RG-58 coax, 7.5"
each of shield and center conductor.  Find a place somewhere on the plastic
instrument
panel which works in testing.  Like behind the flat part of the right
side of the panel, provided a big battery isn't on the other side.

Fred F.

Read this topic online here: