Europa-List: Threading 1/4NPT taps

Subject: Europa-List: Threading 1/4NPT taps
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:27:51

Cheers,
            As I have said several times, I am a flyer, not a builder by
trade and occasionally am trapped by this lack of history.
        I have devised a manifold form of fuel system which involves mating
1/4NPT [9/16"x18tpi pipe thread] with a block of 1"x1"x3" block of 6061-T6
aluminium, to save space and counteract forward CoG.  Into the threaded
block goes an AN842-6D fitting, a threaded base onto which is sat a 90deg
elbow with a tubing nipple for fuel tubing.
            The problem is, I can't seem to find the ideal depth of tap so
that the fitting is securely threaded and still points in the proper
direction.
            Is there a trick to tapping these sweethearts so that the AN842
matches 105in-lbs of torque (or a bit more) to face in the desired
direction?   Perume sales personnel or tennis pros need not reply - unless
accompanying documentation qualifies........

help

Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic