Europa-List: Miserable cur Soob powered mono available for Rotax convers

Subject: Europa-List: Miserable cur Soob powered mono available for Rotax conversion
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:09:28

  I have just added a photo album of the Subaru install on my bird, hoping
that someone
will take pity on the porky tired old girl and do a proper Rotax conversion
on her.
  This slothful Jap powered misfit barely ekes out 185 mph even with a new
larger TBI
with ram air and roller cam. This is fully 15 miles shy of what the R
powered birds do, according to Europa literature.  Very disheartening!
  After this severe flogging, the oil temps reach a scalding 210 degrees and
the engine
screams for mercy, demanding to return to the aerodrome to catch its breath.
  Unfortunately,
this wretched craft demands landing in the turf next to the paved runway, as
the
vicious handling of the monowheel coupled with the extreme forward CG of the
Soob install
can require an occasional slight dab of the rudder pedals to keep straight,
not good for the occasional TG pilot trying to touch down on the macadam.
  Takeoffs and climbouts are very dicey with this engine as well, as one can
see nothing
over the nose going up at 1300 feet per minute.  Passenger carrying ability
is severely impaired
as climb rate deteriorates to an unacceptable 1000 feet per minute with a
250 lb lump
in the right seat.
  The Soob engine is inherently unfit for aviation as it demands no input
---From the pilot other
than turning the starter key and applying the throttle.  So many times I
have pulled her
cowling, hoping for something to do mechanically but alas, nothing.  I look
forward longingly
to the annual oil and filter change, to try and create some kind of
mechanical union with
the beast but it wants nothing from me except some occasional fuel. This
bird screams for a
proper $25K Rotax aeromotor, so that the owner pilot can involve him/herself
with mechanical bits such as sticking wastegates, balky starters and out of
sync carbs.  I feel so alone.  I need
involvement!
  Please, any reasonable offer considered! AF!

http://www.europaowners.org/modules.php?set_albumName=EuropaSoob&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

                                                Glenn