Re: Europa-List: Weight and balance - Europa XS too

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Weight and balance - Europa XS too
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 10:59:58

> In answer to the query about the aft C of G parameters
> of the Europa XS, when operating the craft at a gross
> over 1370 lbs: I fly C-GGHY within the C of G range
> recommended in the Pilots Handbook and do so up to a
> gross of 1500 lbs. but tend to stay approx. 1" away
> from the aft limit.  This tendency is not based on
> scientific calculations.  In my earlier life, as a
> military test pilot, I was aware that if you increase
> the wing loading of a given model, the C of G range
> shrinks. The dynamic & static longitudinal stability of
> the XS up to 1500 lbs. gross, is very acceptable across
> the airspeed range flown.

I am interested in your statement "I fly C-GGHY within the
C of G range recommended in the Pilots Handbook and do so
up to a gross of 1500 lbs"

Where in the Europa supplied POH does it permit 1500 lbs ?

In the UK it is 1370 only and I understood that 1450 was
permitted in the land of the free (and Experimental).

The Europa supplied graph of weight and balance is
constrained by BOTH C of G _and_ total weight.

The maximums are not really to deal with normal cruise or
climb but are restrictions based on turbulence and less
consistent conditions.

Richard