Europa-List: Paint dilemma

Subject: Europa-List: Paint dilemma
From: Simon Smith <jodel@nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:08:12

Some advice from you all please.

I have had my Europa painted by "a person that will remain nameless" who
should know what they are doing.  They delivered it back to me in mid
January.
The fuselage was delivered to my house for some more fitting out to be
completed but the wings were delivered direct to the airfield.
They were unloaded from the trailer by myself and "a person that will remain
nameless "and stored in the hangar on a cradle still in the polythene as
delivered.
On checking them last week with my inspector we found that the inside of the
polythene was wet and over the lower third (they are sitting on the LE so
1/3rd back from the LE on upper and lower surfaces) the paint is raised into
thousands of tiny bubbles each around 0.1 to 0.2mm in size. We have removed
the polythene and moved them to an enclosed area of the hangar where we can
leave a fan heater running which raises the ambient temp by about 4 degrees
c.

Photos can be seen at:

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~jodel/IMG_7340.JPG
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~jodel/IMG_7343.JPG
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~jodel/IMG_7344.JPG

The third picture is probably the clearest example of what has occurred.

When this was discovered I phoned the " person that will remain nameless"
and described the problem.  He said that once the moisture had dried off the
paint would return to normal.  Given that the wings have been sitting in
this enclosed heated area for a week now with no change to the surface
finish finish, what do you think the outcome will be?  Do you believe it
will dry out and return? Have you seen this happen? The painter and I are 5
hours drive apart so it is not an easy one to solve!

thanks

Simon

G-BZTN kit 504