Re: Europa-List: RF Problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RF Problem
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@COMCAST.NET>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:58:51

> I was thinking the same thing.  Make sure the radio has
"lots" of wire
> on the power side.  My BENDIX/KING called for two # 18
wires
> on both the + and  -  side.  I think "your problem" is
what they were
> trying to avoid. It never hurts to have to much wire size.
(make it bigger)

Two wires for +14V IN and GND are for redundancy.  Rather
common in avionics boxes.  I'm afraid lack thereof will not
solve the orig complaint.  In plastic airplanes, the
radiated field is a strong, vigorous one, easily affecting
other electrical items.  In aluminum planes, those affected
items are significantly shielded by the airframe.  I know
this from me little handy field strength meter, while
xmitting, with the meter inside my aluminum plane, vs.
sticking it out the window in better line-of-sight from the
xmitting antenna.  It's needle can peg with a resounding
click!

I'd first try the ferrite suppressors to trap the EMI
radiated to wiring of affected devices. Those things abound
everywhere these days from wall-brick "switching power
supplies" to charge the battery in consumer devices, through
those now found on the RF cable feeding digital, high-def TV
sets or digital cable boxes.

Reg,
Fred F.