Re: Europa-List: Classic Wing Repair Needed

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Classic Wing Repair Needed
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:39:17

Troy,

I was hoping Nev Eyre would come to your rescue here so while we wait to
hear from him, thought I would sympathise with you.

I had an identical bulge about 1" dia on the bottom of one of my wings too.
Mine was caused when I laid up a couple of plies of bid simultaneously on
the reinforced section trapping a little air pocket which I didn't see at
the time of lay-up.  What made it worse was that I heated my workshop after
the lay-up to speed up the cure only to learn from this mistake.  I have
discovered that whenever there is a small air pocket and the temp gets
elevated before cure, the air in the pocket expands and makes the bubble a
hell of a lot bigger.  Having said this, I cannot understand how yours would
have happened after curing.

So I hope it makes you feel somewhat happier to know that you are not alone.

I drilled two small holes (about 1/16" or could have been 1/32") opposite
each other on the outsides of the bubble.  I then injected pure epoxy with a
syringe into one hole until it came out the other.  Using a bit of peel ply
and plastic sheeting as a release agent, I then covered the bubble and
weighted it down while it cured.  It is still visible but I don't have the
high spot any more.

I am not putting this method forward as an approved solution, it is simply
what I did.  If you would prefer to do an approved fibreglass repair, I
would suggest you contact a glider repairer to find out how to do a proper
scarf and the lay-ups.  There is a repair procedure for this which is
different from anything we have done in construction.

Personally, with a bubble that small, I don't think there would be anything
to gain by going to the trouble of doing the proper repair procedure but I
could be wrong, I was once !

Good luck.

Kingsley