Europa-List: Which Prop

Subject: Europa-List: Which Prop
From: Peter Rees <peter.rees01@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:29:47

I know that this may descend into the mono vs tri-gear, 912s vs 914
arguements but I'll ask the question anyway:

G-MFHI is fitted with a 912 fitted with a coursly set (18 degrees)
warpdrive - This returns a respectable 118-120kts and a rate of climb that
doesn't cause concern over the trees at Rochester.

The course setting of the prop limits the engine RPM to about 5100 so we
can't legally use the weight upgrade.

If we were to fit a VP/CS prop, we would see the requsite increase in RPM
and could therefore use the 1370 limit.

My question is - would a change to (what looks like) a prop with a more
spohisticated blade design such as the  Kremen give me any advantage in the
cruise? If so, does anyone have any comments (positive or negative) which
prop (Rospellor, Kremen etc)  may be more suitable to fitting to a Classic
912 - which is about to have the engine removed for sprag clutch replacement
:o(

Peter