Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: Use of 2 pumps (was fitting gascolator)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa-list: Use of 2 pumps (was fitting gascolator)
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:41:06

Patrick, I recall an incident report put out quite a few years ago by the
Europa team about the company demonstrator which was at that time as I
recall it with 914 and a single gascolator. Apparently the engine began to
splutter and on switching on the second fuel pump ran smoothly enough to get
them home. The Gascolator screen showed a fair amount of  the 'gunge' that
many people have described soon after commissioning and assumed to be some
sort of filler material from the tank. Their interpretation was that this
amount of gunge was enough to produce fuel starvation with the pressure of
one pump but two pumps pushed hard enough to keep things running. So my
advice would be to run on one pump to give early warning of fuel flow
problems and keep the other in reserve (& save a bit of electricity!)
          On a different tack I have occasionally found a bit of water in
the various Avgas fuelled planes I have flown but never in 400hrs of my
Europa, using almost exclusively Mogas. Could it be that the ethanol in
Mogas will absorb/dissolve small amounts of water?
          Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ