Europa-List: Reflexed flaps for drag reduction

Subject: Europa-List: Reflexed flaps for drag reduction
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:18:54

  I am interested in trying reflexing the flaps a few degrees for drag
reduction in cruise.
I talked to a Lancair 360 owner yesterday who has this ability.  He has
played with them
a bit but only at high altitude without any spectacular effects.  He notes
that he has to
fly at a slightly higher angle of attack when reflexing the flaps so he
thinks the net result
for him is a wash but wants to try them at lower altitudes.  The Lancair
wing is so small
and has a much higher wing loading so that reflexing the flaps cuts a lot of
wing area.
  On the Europa with a larger wing and lighter wing loading, results could
be more
positive.  Just about all modern sailplanes have this ability, cutting
induced drag in cruise
mode.
  It seems that it would be fairly easy to try on the TG, probably harder on
the Mono
with the outrigger operation possibly being affected.  I've been thru the
archives and
couldn't find anyone who had actually tried it.  I'm thinking of a two
position cam-over
type linkage that would shorten the flap rod possibly a quarter inch or so
when
activated during cruise.  It would be fairly easy to access thru the center
console on my
bird.

                                                Glenn