RE: Europa-List: Hey Guys...Speaking of drag...

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Hey Guys...Speaking of drag...
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:16:05

No one has said anything about the XS cowl.  I would bet that is where
the most improvement in drag reduction could be made.  Besides having
rather poor cooling characteristics, I believe it has rather bad
aerodynamics.  For example;

1) After very carefully fairing our monowheel in, we found no
improvement in cruise speed.  We suspect because the lower cowl is
messing up the air so badly in front of the main gear (mono-wheel).

2) In a recent magazine article on a mono-wheeled motor glider, they
said they measured no difference in glide ratio, gear-up vs gear-down,
again, I suspect because the lower cowl is producing copious amounts of
turbulence in front of the gear.

Just my $.02,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD