Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:14:56

I would also suggest, to those of you who want to "TRY" to wheel land a mono
wheel, you need to do one thing first. With the engine off, have a friend or
helper raise the tail to normal flight attitude, then take a look at how close
the
prop is to the ground or pavement. One bounce on landing, and you may be buying
new prop blades.

The center of gravity is behind the mono wheel, which will make the tail drop
down, as soon as the wheel touches the runway, if you counter with some forward
stick, re-read the above paragraph.

I'm a high time Pitts driver, who loves wheel landings, but NEVER in our mono
wheel.

Jim Brown
N398JB