Re: Europa-List: off-topic: Re: Display of the Pound Symbol

Subject: Re: Europa-List: off-topic: Re: Display of the Pound Symbol
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:02:00

>If I send myself an email with pound sterling symbols inserted it all  comes
>out correct.  Why is this?

Patrick - because the packing agent and the unpacking agent (who both
work for you in this case and so speak the same language, etc) both
honour the same instructions. Mail lists, for reasons already
explained, tend to take a more cautious approach and just accept &
deliver packages that fit in a standard rail wagon (7-bit ASCII).
This way they can avoid (in the worst case) re-assembling a primed
bomb and having it go off, either in their own hands or on the
property of the folk they're delivering to.

If you want to know the full story, google for "MIME RFC" and you'll
get as much as anyone can handle on the subject!

I suggest we wrap this up now as I'm sure the rest of the list is
tired of it - the bottom line is just to use UKP instead of trying to
type a pound sign, if you don't know how the recipient's e-mail
system will treat your message (ie, always, unless talking to
yourself!).

regards

Rowland