Europa-List:

Subject: Europa-List:
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:46:48

"I have seen this advice from quite a few pilots, but I wonder if any of
them
fly the XS, which sits at a shallower angle on the ground, and is more than
willing to keep flying at that attitude.  In addition, the long tailwheel
spring is quite flexible, and can be easily bent downward (increasing the
angle of attack) with modest force on the tailplane. "
            I don't think so.  Actually the longer tailwheel bends up. The
real event is that at the same AoA near the ground, it will touch earlier,
and shortly drop the wing from flying lift, planting the wheel more firmly
and slowing the aircraft earlier. The dropping nose will reproduce the view
sought before takeoff, as ever.
            Applying easy power to heighten the nose attitude will reduce
ground speed and roll by a few knots - important where required.
Ferg