Europa-List: 914 Filter & Oshkosh

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Filter & Oshkosh
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:31:58
        2.31 DATE_IN_FUTURE_24_48   Date: is 24 to 48 hours after Received: date

While I had my lower cowling off to give it bigger nostrils up front for better
cooling I took note how nice it would be to have a feature inside to register
against the end of the air filter.  I haven't started the motor yet but have
noticed that the filter attachment could be problematic.  I have had it loosen
up after sitting for months in the garage.  No doubt some sort of creep or flow
going on with the material.  Now if the lower cowling had a flat surfaced
feature
to butt against the end of the  air filter the clamp would only have to
suffice for a seal and not as an attachment device for a cantilever.  Has anyone
done this yet?  If you have found an elegant way to get the right dimension
give me a heads up.  If I don't hear from anyone I'll have to go to my old
standby
for figuring it out.  I do my best thinnking on this type of issue by wandering
up and down the aisles of Home Depot.  Looking at all the stuff on the
shelves and racks eventually sets the lighbulb off
 on how to custom fab something. I have made some very passable outrigger /
landing
light fairing molds out of adhesive backed foam and electrical tape gathered
on my wanderings.

The trip out to Oshkosh and back in E. Trombley's Europa reconfirmed that I made
a good decision to go with the Europa and also to go for the  914.  The  seating
was more comfortable than my car (I'm 6 ft, 200#) my back gets stiff in the
car, I was not stiff after 4 hr legs in the plane. My seats  were modeled after
Erich's after he sent me some photos.  With the wing leveler turned on we
could have slept most of the way home.  Weather  was bad on the way there had
to fly real low  and had to watch out for nasty stuff  like real tall TV towers
rising terrain etc.  The engine hummed like a sewing machine all trip.  We
probably could have done it in a day if the weather was good and got a real
early
start.

 The turbo adds a startling amount of  versatility,  on the the trip back home
we were at 6500 ft. indicating 120 kts airspeed and 80 kts gps ground speed.
We elevatored up to 14500 ft. looking for more favorable  winds and eventually
found a spot where we got about 130 kts groundspeed.  Going over  the Rockies
was  just a short jump. All this on about a 5 gal/hr burn rate,  with a fixed
pitch prop and with the  outriggers down. (electrically actuated that fold
completely
inboard into the wing but left down because of burned out motor).

The  trip was just what I needed  to get kicked in gear to finish N40SH.
Perhaps
it will be ready to fly to Sun n Fun in primer?

Steve Hagar
Mesa, AZ

Steve Hagar
hagargs@earthlink.net