Europa-List: Radio Reception

Subject: Europa-List: Radio Reception
From: Bryan Allsop <bryan@blackballclub.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:04:23

Hi Bob.

I have just re-read you mail from last week (cut-out below). I am interested in
the squelch aspect coupled with antennas. Does dumping the squelch enable
reception
in these cases?

I note also that you are suffering in the 119 to 122 MHz range.

Do you have any further reference to the adjustment prescribed by Icom.

Regards,  Bryan

<I haven't particularly noticed the problem in low or high frequency
contacts but if local Wickenby (122.45) based a/c hear me approaching
requesting join info. they manage to contact me  and relay the info.
without the slightest problem. The Wickenby Base hear me "fives" on all
contacts but I don't hear them until almost over the field with the auto
squelch control dumped. The Wickenby base is more often than not a hand
held set probably with a lower wattage output.
I have recently done the revalidation test from 2000ft  with Conningsby
on 120.80 at 30 miles over the North Sea without a problem but of course
with the auto squelch dumped! Yet to receive Humberside on 119.125 at 10
miles I must have the auto squelch dumped also.>