Europa-List: Rotax Magnetic drain plug, Torx Plus not Torx

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax Magnetic drain plug, Torx Plus not Torx
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 22:48:28

For what it is worth, looking at a 912S Magnetic plug, I noticed the shape of
the points did not look like traditional torx. It looked a little like my Dads
old work on IBM Selectric typewriter Bristol wrench teeth, kinda sortta
squarish.

I looked up on http://www.mcmaster.com/

search torx plus

result torx plus socket bits.

Yup that's it.

You can use regular torx T-40 but it will apply 25% less torque.

On the 912S I looked at, the IP-40 should be a perfect fit. Snap-On sells them
as well.

      "Use Torx-Plus bit sockets for increased surface contact and 25% more
torque on Torx-Plus fasteners. Sockets are heat-treated, chrome-plated alloy
steel and have black or gray bits. Note: These are compatible only with
Torx-Plus fasteners."

You can use a Torx on a torx Plus fastener, but not vise versa.

I don't know if all Rotax 4 strokes come with them, but I suspect the new 914UL
does. Someone said he thought on 912 Katanas, they just used allens, just
repeating what i heard.

Warm up motor, even heat case with heat gun to get loose first time, (aluminium
expands more than steel) could even give the plug a good whack to break it free
a bit.

Ron Parigoris