Europa-List: MonoWheel + OverCenter Stop.

Subject: Europa-List: MonoWheel + OverCenter Stop.
From: EuropaForum <Post2Forum@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:52:40

I'd like to thank Ron Parigoris for getting it through my head that
the gear over center stop is a positive over center. Ron also told me
how to set things up to check this measurement. His setup worked
nicely even with the entire gear assemble installed. ( it isn't any
more ) I installed the swing arms per the manual, and went on my
merry way. Did I miss, somewhere in the manual where it says this is
a positive over center stop and a way to check this, or a
measurement? I searched the old archives ( thanks Andrew, http://
www.sarangan.org/europa_forum/ ) and found a measurement of 1.5mm, .
060 or 1/16. I was much luckier than Ron, removing the powder coat
---From the stops got me dead even. I think if I use a little blueing on
the swing arms then file the witness marks off the stops, I just
might make the 1/16th of an inch, and have flush contact. But now my
FL24 up and down gate is junk and the rubbing block has to come out,
and all my flap setting have to be redone. Wish I new about this
sooner, but on the bright side I didn't find out about it the hard
way. I was standing near a 80 inch valve once when a 2 1/2 inch
hardened steel actuating arm snapped like a twig, because someone set
a positive over center stop. Funny how things like that have you
blocking out the very idea of a positive stop with out even thinking
about it.

Chat Later,
Steved.