Re: Europa-List: Transponder antenna

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Transponder antenna
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:46:33

<carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>

> Additionally, if you mount the aerial near the occupants you will be
> subjecting yourself to continuous radiation (unlike the comms radio
which
> only transmits intermittently, the transponder transmits every
second and at
> a higher output wattage).

A transponder transmits for only 21.3 microseconds and only when
interrogated by ATC.  Therefore, even though high wattage, there's no
harm even a foot away according to data published by our gov't.  I
calculated it as less than a typical cell phone at one inch from our
cognitive matter.

Reg,
Fred F.