Europa-List: Sun N Fun Report

Subject: Europa-List: Sun N Fun Report
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:04:06
 04/18/2005 09:04:08 AM,
        Serialize complete at 04/18/2005 09:04:08 AM

Greetings All,

Just returned from Sun N Fun.
Flew 224xs NYC - LAL - NYC almost all IFR (actually under the hood mostly,
but some IMC)
Funny thing about the wind, it was always on the nose. All told about 18
hr of flying

The show was very nice indeed.  About 8 Europaphiles converged at the
local Hooters for a round of
drinks and good cheer.  The Armstrongs also had their Europa on the
Flightline.

Andy manned the company booth and showed the flag and there seemed to be
good foot traffic.

I had the pleasure of having Andy fly with me and after some fits and
starts on the ground
including overheated brakes and runway closed by an AT-6 with collapsed
gear.  Andy pronounced
that 4XS flies like a Europa (but perhaps a bit faster ;-) ).  On landing,
we had a hold at Lake
Parker followed by a go around command at 100 feet.  I had had a rudder
trim issue at high
cruise (140 145 kts) which he fixed for me as well.

The only problem of my trip occurred at Chesapeake Regional on the return
leg. The wind was 40kts +
and when I opened my door at the fuel depot, the wind took it out of my
hand and snapped it against its
tang stops.  The strut was torn cleanly off, the hinges bent and the tangs
delaminated.  We continued
the flight home as the FBO was closed, the wind was horrible and freezing
cold.

Anyone else have this happen? What type of repair was needed?

Cheers,

Ira N224XS