RE: Europa-List: Unnerving experience

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Unnerving experience
From: Roland Robinson <roland.robinson@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:56:33

Hi

I had a very similar experience following the annual on my Europa. On
investigation a short longitudinal split was found on the fuel pipe that
pushed onto the filter. (one of the poor quality cotton braided type)

Here are my thoughts on what had happened:

Like you I was doing circuits and it was several circuits in before the
problem occurred, so why did it start to happen?

I believe that air was being drawn in though the split. Before the "how
did air get in if fuel didn't leak out brigade start" this could happen
due to the nett positive suction head on the pump. Ie as fuel is used in
the tank the head available on the pump is going down as the fuel is
consumed. Therefore slightly more suction is required. At some point it
could become easier for air to be pulled through the leak than fuel from
the tank. This would give the effect that you describe.

This further fitted my event as, when I reduced power, the engine
running cleared up. So again as fuel demand was reduced, less suction
required, no air drawn.

I too thankfully made a successful landing on alternate runway. I cured
the leak and the problem did not recur in 150 hours subsequent flying.

In conclusion, I would advise that you check for any (slight) leaks on
the suction side of the pump.

Hope this helps.

Roly Robinson