Re: Europa-List: Arplast info please? Was prop balancing (+

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Arplast info please? Was prop balancing (+
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:21:35

Brian,

I forward the following info on Arplast props plus some of the info I've
uncovered in my own prop qwest:

>> - Jerry Davis @ Lyndhurst Touchdown Services, reps for Arplast Propellers:

>> this unit is being used in several Europas; blade profiles & twist unknown.
>> PV50 propellers are designed for use on experimental and similar aircraft.
>> They are not certified. There are around 250 propellers fitted to 912, 912S
>> and 914 engines.  We now offer a constant speed controller designed and
>> manufactured in the UK. Prices are as follows:
>>
>> Propeller less controller is                    2700 Euros       $3500
>> Paint option                                     130 Euros        $170
>> Standard controller is                           150 Euros        $195
>> Constant Speed controllers is                    475 Pounds       $880
>> Optional manifold pressure sensor is              55 Pounds       $100
>>
>> All plus shipping. Prices in dollars are approximate. For a CS version with
>> MAP sensor and black blades price would be around $4480 + shipping.
>>
>> Propellers are available in Black, Red, White and Grey. For the non black
>> props the backs of the blades are painted matt black with an aerosol. This
>> matt black is not very durable so for the paint option extra the back of the
>> blade can be painted in a two pack Satin black polyurethane paint which is
>> durable. The black blades do not require this option.
>
>> best regards            Jerry Davis
>>
>> Managing Director
>> Lyndhurst Touchdown Services Ltd
>> jerry@ban-bi.com

My decision on propellers (as yet undetermined) is being influenced by some
info and concern about blade design which I share as follows:

> - THE WARPDRIVE BLADES
>
> The WarpDrive blade is a quality product w/ many fine characteristics;
> however, it suffers in a high-cruise-speed situation. All WarpDrive blades are
> from the same mold and blade length is varied by trimming. Consequently,
> for a given application, it is not possible to optomise and provide the
> correct amount of blade area, disc area, pitch, pitch distribution etc, etc.
> The design was optimised for 72" to 84" prop diameters, engines in the 80-100
> hp range, flying at 100-125 mph cruise speeds. At full length the blades have
> a twist of 20 degrees; when cut down for the 64" dia. Europa application, the
> blade twist reduces to 13 degrees.
>
> - quote from Glenn Crowder, Europa pilot, Golden, CO
>
>> The twist is important on your application because as you approach the fast
>> part of the flight envelope, the inboard sections of the prop begin to go
>> into beta mode. This means the air is being accelerated over the lower
>> camber faster than over the upper camber, essentially making reverse thrust
>> (or at least making enough drag to be the main factor in acheiving
>> equilibium - no more acceleration). For airplanes in the 135 mph
>> range, a proper design might have about 40 - 50 degrees of twist from the
>> tip to the most inboard definable sections. A Warp, at 64" has about 13
>> degrees. So, the lack of twist on the Warp and the resulting drag on the
>> inboard stations is certainly slowing you down but there is NO off the shelf
>> design out there yet that can well accomodate your plane.
>
> - quote from Stuart Gort, President, PowerFin Props

I queried Airmaster in this regard as follows:

>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> As I've proceeded w/ various threads of enquiry as to prop selection for my
>> Europa XS mono, I've been given some disappointing comments about the Warp
>> Drive blades; namely, that they have insufficient twist which imparts
>> negative
>> thrust along the inner portions of the blades when the pitch controller sets
>> the coarse pitch for max. efficiency and fuel economy (i.e., min. propeller
>> rpm) in the higher speed ranges.
>>
>> One Europa flyer/owner claims that this drawback of the Warp Drive blades was
>> evident when he switched to a fixed pitch, 3 bladed, 64 x 62 wood prop and
>> achieved a 20 mph increase in speed at cruise, other conditions being equal.
>> (This example did not involve the Airmaster hub, but rather an NSI hub w/ WD
>> blades).
>>
>> Do you think this is a fair criticism of the Warp Drive blades?..and, if so,
>> was it something you considered and felt you could live with given the other
>> excellent characteristics of the WD blades?
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> - hoping to achieve the Europa-advertised 200 mph!

 I received the following response from Airmaster:

>> Dear Mr Klein
>>
>> The issue of blade design is an interesting one and I am sure you will find
>> a variety of opinions on it.
>>
>> I do not doubt that the WD design could be improved apon if sufficient
>> knowledge and money was applied to it.  However the performance from them is
>> not as bad as you may have been told.
>>
>> I know that Europa have always favoured the WD blades even when they had
>> many other types to choose from.  I would question the ability of a fixed
>> pitch prop to gain 20 mph over the Airmaster.
>>
>> Tests we conducted with Europa USA using a monowheel 914 with the Airmaster
>> compared to a Whirlwind 2 blade.  The two blade was designed specifically to
>> compete on the Europa and so should be as good as it gets.
>>
>> There was no reported difference between the two at sea level up to 5000 ft
>> (where most of your flying is done) and a few knots at 15000ft due to the
>> Whirlwinds comparatively large blades.
>>
>> In all other regards the WD have been outstanding in terms of reliability
>> and wear.
>>
>> We may test other blades in the future but for the present we have been
>> asked to stick with Warpdrive.
>>
>> Regards
>> Martin Eskildsen
>> General Manager
>>
>> Airmaster Propellers Ltd

Brian...I believe but cannot confirm that the twist in the blade design on
the Arplast prop is greater than that of the WarpDrive blade.

Fred
A194