RE: Europa-List: Aluminium (aluminum) type to use

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Aluminium (aluminum) type to use
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:36:16

Among the wrought alloys 6061-T6511 is your best choice, for cost, ease of
machining, and availability, but for this application just about anything
would be acceptable.  The -T6511 temper is most common but any variation
would be OK, such as plain old -T6.   If you are digging through scrap piles
it's best to stay away from castings (such as 356 and other three digit
alloys) which tend to be somewhat porous, though not enough so that you'd
have to worry about leaks.

Best regards,

Rob Housman

Europa XS Tri-Gear A070