Re: Europa-List: Tri Gear Conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tri Gear Conversion
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:16:42

> I am new to this list and would like to correspond with
> any who have converted the mono wheel to tri-gear to
> qualify under the new Sport Pilot rules.
>
> Thanks,   Willy Wilcken  Mesa, AZ

For the Europa, the main problem could be how FAA is going to enforce
the 120-knot limit, unless you go with 80HP.  Without enforcement,
there will be much cheating on existing experimentals and future 51%
experimental builds.  I think they saw this coming, as they originally
said no ground-adjustable propeller.  The final rule backed off on
that for unrelated reasons I suspect, so time will soon tell how they
will verify top speed.  Merely having your prop bolts sealed by a
member of the clergy won't be enough.  :-)

Reg,
Fred F.