RE: Europa-List: ELT use in UK

Subject: RE: Europa-List: ELT use in UK
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:55:40

>Am I right in thinking that an ELT install in a UK PFA Aircraft is not
allowed.<

I think you are right. However you are still allowed to carry a handheld
ELT which is what I do across the water. At least with the handheld if
your aircraft should sink after a ditching you still have your location
aid. Be under no illusion it can be very difficult for the rescue
services to see you if there is only your head sticking out the water.
Your biggest risk with a ditching is not surviving the water landing it
is hypothermia afterwards therefore a location aid is essential. When I
did search training in C130's it is possible to miss seeing a 26 man
liferaft if the sea conditions are anything but calm.

Nigel Charles