Europa-List: Rotax Service Bulletin

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax Service Bulletin
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:02:16

> Who is responsible for bringing Service Bulletins to our attention? The
> factory? Rotax? I do look at the website every so often but I have already
> missed 2 bulletins by being out of time. It is a good job I am not flying
> yet!
> Steve Pitt #403

You can sign up for the Rotax bulletins to be notified to you by email.

www.rotax-owner.com

Sometimes you get the same thing twice !

However as I understand it some of the "mandatory" bulletins do not apply to
homebuilts if you use the uncertified engines. It is certainly sensible to
comply but it is not compulsory.

Rotax have an amazing system for numbering their SB & SI. Or rather they
don't ! Each time one arrives it seems to follow a different naming
convention. Not logical at all !

AND :

One of the most recent SB's was the one associated with oil filters.

Firstly they announced that all filters installed between date X and date Y
have to be checked before the next flight.

Then they issued another saying (correctly) that it was filters SOLD between
date X and date Y that had to be checked. The stated gap was to be at least
20 thousandths of an inch.

Now they have issued number 3 (even though it is NOT called issue number 3
on it !) which has changed the minimum gap to 8 thousandths.

I don't know if the (original) German SB has come out in 3 versions, but
this smacks of inefficiency !

There has been another Service Letter which points to every which
possibility to explain difficulty of starting of the 912S. But it didn't
include suggestion that the Heavy Duty starter would solve the problem.
Indeed all these SB & SI allocate all the blame towards the users and away
---From Rotax.

There was a SI notifying us of the existence of the HD starter but without
admitting the need for it. Maybe in some installations with short battery
runs and a lightweight propeller the 912S starts every time with the
standard starter. But it didn't in mine (with the battery in the back and
the Airmaster prop). Without any real information mine blew its sprag clutch
and changing it and the starter motor cost me 1100 (at only 100 hours).

I have said before that the HD starter motor will fit the Europa and can be
fitted without removing the engine - if you have the XS firewall forward kit
- engine mounts and stuff). In fact the sprag clutch can be changed in situ
also. The engine has to come out to change the sprag clutch if you have a
classic firewall forward, and (apparently) the HD starter won't fit in the
classic fwf. I have a classic  fuselage (kit 51) but the fwf is XS. Phew !

Anyone who is about to buy a classic fwf should NOT buy a 912S, go for the
912 or the 914. If you going for a 912S in an XS fwf installation specify
the HD starter when ordering the engine. It is only about 70 extra if you
buy it instead of the standard starter. (It cost me 300 outright !- Anyone
want to buy a little used standard starter - offers ?)

Sorry to go on about this but I was well p*ssed off with Rotax about this. I
have other, minor grievances, which I would repeat off-list.

These are all criticisms of the Austrian end of the business, not the UK
side.

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                        email : richard.holder@avnet.co.uk
++++++++ Please note new email address ++++++++
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)