Re: Europa-List: Fitting Cowl

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting Cowl
From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:42:39

On Nov 20, 2004, at 9:49 PM, Kevin Klinefelter wrote:

Kevin,
The following is the way to go and I recovered it from Nev, after I was
far along via the manual and had made many mistakes.
Take 2 or 3 inch 2 sided masking tape and tape it around the recess
where the cowl is to fit the fuselage. Let it extend 2 inches from the
edge of the joggle aft. Fit out your prop & spinner first. Making sure
the spinner is balanced & true. Place the lower cowl up under then the
upper cowl and cleco them together to fit. Now adjust for perfect
spinner clearance and match. Remember 3/4 to 1 inch of clearance
between the cowl & spinner. Having it held in place, trace with a
marker the back of the cowl around the fuselage on the tape. Now remove
the cowl and re assemble top to bottom off of the fuselage. The traced
line should be on the tape just aft of the joggle that the cowl is
meant to fit into. Now draw a line following the joggle all the way
around. Carefully remove the tape not to rip it, and place it on the
inner aft edge of the cowl and match up the aft traced line as it was
when the cowl was in place on the fuselage. You now can cut the cowl to
fit in one try by following the joggle line on the tape that you
traced.
This sounds harder than it is and saves you countless hours placing the
cowl on and off and like me even having to repair the front to match
the spinner.
I have a 912-S not the 914 but fitting the cowl Neville's way would
have saved me weeks, or in my part time case, months of work.
This is one of those things that really irritated me about the old
Europa company. The best ways of doing things we're always kept in a
secret in vault and we're never disclosed until many had pushed on the
wrong way. Then one day the quick and right way would surface far after
it was too late for some of us.
It sounds like the new europa boys are on the right track. If you are
listening... FIX THE MANUAL!
Your builders deserve the experience of those people that have built
lots of Europas. Neville, Bob, etc.
Pay them, consult with them and fix the manual.
Jeff
A258 Seeing blue sky at the end of the tunnel.