RE: Europa-List: FW: Concorde

Subject: RE: Europa-List: FW: Concorde
From: percyville <percyville@percyville.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:21:19

Concorde rides at Oshkosh! I think not!!

If it wasn't for the paranoia of the American public, accentuated by the
American government being firmly under the sponsorship of the American
airline manufacturers of the day, Concorde would have been a viable
project and flying in mass numbers today.

Why is the American philosophy always to employ dirty tricks to ensure
the perception of American supremacy, the most common being the
withholding of IMF funding if we proceed with a project which surpasses
US capability?

But what really grieves me is to see the majority of retired Concorde's
have ended up being given to American Museums!!
Surely they should have been sold (just as Concordski was!) and the
proceeds held to either keep an example airworthy or sponsoring a
British Aviation research and development!!

Dare I state TSR2... well most of it's here:
http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/tsr2/history.html
Doesn't mention how the design of TSR2 was initially stolen under the
mask of a pre-sales visit, which hence formed the basis of the F111
project.
Pity they don't air the 'project cancelled' series on the US version of
Discovery Wings.

The ability of British Aviation R&D at the time:  the Americans couldn't
successfully make a copy of TSR2, likewise the Russians were unable to
successfully clone Concorde and TSR2 was superior to Tornado 15 years
before it flew...

It was viewing TSR2 at the age of 11 on a school science trip to the
museum at RAF Cosford that started my love affair with aviation....
Looked so space age with the gold tinted canopy, photography doesn't do
it justice!!

Paul