RE: Europa-List: Propellers NSI CAP 140

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Propellers NSI CAP 140
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:11:50

Hi Steve

Yes it is very good.  I have one on my Classic on a 912UL (80bhp).
Cruise is 120kts to 125kts indicated at 4,200 rpm.  I get the full 5,800
on take off so off the runway and climb performance are good too.
Around 900 fpm when solo and 600 to 700 with a passenger.  Fuel burn
around 15 litres (3.96 small gallons) per hour.  Considerably better
than my Twin Com!

The prop uses Warp Drive blades.  There has been a problem getting
spares in the last few weeks.  Warp Drive were 10 weeks behind with
delivery! I knocked a blade off on a concrete farm road in July and am
still waiting for a replacement.  The good thing is that the hub is so
strongly built that there was no damage.  My PFA (UK for EAA) inspector
tells me he has never seen a NSI hub damaged by a prop strike and he
probably has had more to do with NSI than most in the UK.

NSI do get a lot of bad press re customer service.  They are a bit vague
regarding responses to email and telephone, but this seems to be when
there is nothing to tell.  For example the Warp Drive delivery issue,
having said they were awaiting a delivery we could then get nothing more
---From them and I eventually check with Warp Drive direct.

Hopefully we will have a serviceable aeroplane by the end of the month.

Regards

Pete