Europa-List: gear retraction - mono

Subject: Europa-List: gear retraction - mono
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:37:10

>Some time ago there was much discussion about the monowheel over
>retracting and
>contacting the brake master cylinder and the slave cylinder contacting the
>tunnel
>sidewall.
>I find that this will indeed be the case with mine unless I do something about
>it. There is also contact between the top of the caliper and the stb
>rudder cable

Mike
you need to divert the rudder cable and also either make a bulge in the
tunnel, not a nice idea, or restrict the retraction with a positive stop.

With the gear up the leverage available from the handle to get it down
again is zero. In this configuration it DEPENDs on gravity to start the
gear down process. Any significant friction will hold the gear up,
furthermore, note  as the brake pads wear the calliper moves outboard and
will increase the friction.

One occasion, I retracted the gear with a bit more flourish than usual and
when I arrived at my goal the gear would NOT come down. After a few
moinutes struggle and head scratching, (and seat nibbling) a bit of
turbulence increased G for a moment and down it came. I still spent an hour
trying to figure out what went wrong.

Graham,
learn from my mistakes, not your own!