Europa-List: re New Starter for 912S

Subject: Europa-List: re New Starter for 912S
From: irampil@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:34:06
 09/09/2004 02:34:07 PM,
        Serialize complete at 09/09/2004 02:34:07 PM

Greetings,

My understanding of the rationale for the new starter option
was that the new electric motor revved about twice the speed of
the original.  The value of this increase is that the engine is taken
up to 600 rpm, well above the very cranky resonance where
the engine shakes like it is about to come apart.

I thought I might install it in my 912S, but the $400 starter
also requires an $800 mod to the gear box ($ amounts approximate).
I don't have a big resonance problem so far, but I was thinking forward
to cold New York winters. My thought now is that if it is too cold to
start, it is too cold to fly ;-)

Ira N224XS All Done
Trues out at gps calibrated 133 kts at 7500' (9800 density alt in Florida
sunshine!)