RE: Europa-List: 912S starting

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912S starting
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:23:17

>I think the point has to be made  that the engine must be turning over
before switching in a mag. It is to do with the ignition timing being
slightly too advanced until full starter speed has been attained,
particularly with the higher compression ratio. With any mags.switched
in, pre-ignition can cause kick-back. For me, the answer would be to
keep the key switch for starting, and fit a couple of self returning
single pole lever switches for the mags.<

I agree. The third option was just a fix for those who do not want to
add to their panel. Obviously it is better not to have any ignition
until full cranking speed has been achieved. The use of single ignition
does seem to delay the rate of burn and therefore effectively delays the
timing. I tried this technique before using the new full cranking
procedure and got some benefit. Probably the best option is to fit a
separate starter button.

Nigel